Socialize

Fauquier citizens deserve better than Judge Jeffrey Parker

Judge Parker ranks LAST in overall performance among circuit court judges currently being considered for reappointment by the General Assembly.

Virginia Code § 17.1-100 requires that “By December 1 of each year, the Supreme Court, or its designee, shall transmit a report of the evaluation in the final year of the term of each justice and judge whose term expires during the next session of the General Assembly to the Chairmen of the House and Senate Committees for Courts of Justice.

On December 1st the Executive Secretary of the Virginia Supreme Court submitted evaluation reports for 27 judges eligible for reappointment during the 2017 session of the General Assembly. The Chairman of the House Courts of Justice Committee is Delegate Dave Albo (R), and the Chairman of the Senate Committee is Senator Mark Obenshain (R).

judge_parkerOn December 2nd, citizens were afforded the chance to weight in, and many Virginians expressed outrage over the fitness of one Fauquier County judge to continue to sit on the bench. Their circumstances and complaints covered a broad range of cases, but one theme was consistent; Judge Jeffrey Parker, Chief Judge of the 20th Judicial Circuit Court should not be reappointed.

Some cited cases where Judge Parker had a duty to recuse himself but did not, while others stressed the amount of money and hardship caused by having to appeal his rulings which in many cases have been over turned by the Virginia Supreme Court. In fact it is rumored that Judge Parker has had more rulings overturned than any other judge in the Commonwealth, which he has indicated does not bother him in the least.

In one case, Judge Parker over turned a jury verdict for no apparent reason. Fortunately the plaintiff had the resources to appeal to the Virginia Supreme Court, who ultimately ruled Judge Parker had no authority or basis to overrule the jury.

During the current evaluation period, 155 attorneys and jurors submitted reviews of Judge Parker.

(You can read excerpts of the report below. The entire report is available HERE.)

Of these, only 56 percent found that he displays knowledge of the law every time; only 58 percent found that he is faithful to the law every time; only 54 percent found that he allows lawyers appropriate latitude in presenting their case every time; and only 58 percent found that he exhibits fairness to all parties every time.

Overall only 55.6 percent rated Judge Parker’s performance as “excellent.” So wouldn’t it make sense that a judge who is ranked last among his peers not be reappointed? It would except for the fact that the judicial review process is terribly flawed.

Although the Courts of Justice Committee has decided not to reappoint 15 judges in the past three years, the fact that Judge Burke McCahill, also of the 20th Judicial Circuit, is retiring on January 1st may have some bearing on the decision to reappoint Judge Parker. Lawmakers may not want to have two vacancies on the same court at the same time.

All of that aside, the citizenry should not be made to suffer the rulings of a Judge that ranks dead last in overall performance. Fauquier citizens deserve better than that.

In addition to questions about his performance, there are other factors that should make the decision not to reappoint even clearer. In a recent article on Fauquier Now, Judge Parker who will be 65 in March, admitted he has had severe back and hip problems, and is quoted as saying that even if reappointed, under the current circumstances he would be unlikely to serve until the mandatory retirement age of 73.

So why reappoint a judge with the worst record in the Commonwealth when he has admitted he will likely retire before completing his term as well?

Chairman Albo has indicated that unless local delegates and senators oppose a judge, they will most likely be reappointed. Citizen action is the only way to let our Delegates and Senators know our wishes.

It’s time to put pressure on our elected officials and let them know that it is unacceptable to reappoint the most overturned judge in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

You can help by contacting these legislators and demanding that Judge Jeffrey Parker not be reappointed.

Senator Mark Obenshain    (804) 698-7526

district26@senate.virginia.gov

Delegate Dave Albo         (804) 698-1042

DelDAlbo@house.virginia.gov

Senator Jill Vogel           (804)-698-7527

district27@senate.virginia.gov

Delegate Michael Webert   (804) 698-1018

DelMWebert@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Mark Cole         (804) 698-1088

DelMCole@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Scott Lingamfelter (804) 698-1031

DelSLingamfelter@house.virginia.gov

2016_judicial_evaluation_excerpts

Comments

comments

11 Responses to Fauquier citizens deserve better than Judge Jeffrey Parker

1. Janae Reply

February 10, 2017 at 4:03 am

HajniZoliék is erdélyiek, így nekik most nem egy erdélyrÅ‘l szóló feladatot adnék, hanem személyes in³sÃttatáÃb­dl egy angol ételt kérnék, mivel a Párom három hónapja Angliában, Londonban dolgozik, HajniZoliék receptje nyomán, majd én is fÅ‘zÅ‘k egy kis angol ételt:)

2. Concerned Citizen Reply

January 14, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Judge Parker really hurts innocent people, especially taking children away from their loving and caring families. He listens to BS given by people who, in a court of law, were proven to be manipulating and cruel. He only cares about his own satisfaction and people who can afford high paid attorneys that lie as much as they do. He should be ashamed. I am a abiding citizen, not someone mad because he found me or someone I care about guilty. I hope someone does something before he hurts anyone else. I am only withholding my name to protect my family.

• Lynsey Reply

February 10, 2017 at 4:02 am

I was forwarded an email from my coach saying you were interested in an interview with me because of the World University Games. I co7&unl#821d;t find an email address to email you to let you know I was interested so I’m trying to contact you this way. Please email me if you would like. Thanks, Tiff

3. Pingback: Circuit Court Judge Jeffrey Parker (Fauquier) Should NOT be Reappointed to the Bench | Virginia Right!

4. Jud's Pud Reply

January 11, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Only crappy judge in fauquier is Ashwell. Thinks his feces don’t stink, cracks jokes about defendants in court about them.

5. CAM Reply

January 11, 2017 at 2:32 pm

BillyBobbo,
    I find your comments not only distasteful, but utterly disgusting, intolerable and without question deplorable. Your accusations loses all validity when followed by your comments of incarceration. You then feel the need to”follow up” a post with what you think is humor. If you are indeed an attorney, your particular services would not be any that I would require.
    Jeffrey Parker has presided over numerous cases that I have had the unfortunate experience of hearing the defendants side. My response, “if you break the law, you are completely at fault and the consequences are entirely because of your actions”.
    This generation is one of entitlement and leniency.

• Sherlyn Reply

February 10, 2017 at 8:53 am

Back in school, I’m doing so much lergnina.

6. Concerned against witch hunts Reply

January 9, 2017 at 6:32 am

Judge Parker treated me fairly. He’s not the problem judge in Fauquier as far as my personal experience.

7. BillyBobbo Reply

January 8, 2017 at 11:40 pm

This judge REALLY is one of the worst judges I have ever seen. As a practicing attorney, he shows his contempt for guidelines by consistently going over them and is constantly denying plea bargains. The prosecutor and him seem to be in cahoots; one of my clients got off several firearms possession charges as a felon. All I had to do was bribe Mr. Parker with $10,000. I, of course, have proof of this meeting. As it would incriminate myself and the Judge, I am saving the evidence for an appropriate time in my career and life to bring Mr. Parker DOWN. You know who this is, Judge Parker, and I have seen you ruin the lives of too many people where I may just accept my own punishment as long as you too are finally seen as the public disgrace you truly are.

• BillyBobbo Reply

January 8, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Just kidding Mr. Parker never accepted a bribe!! Or did he? We will all find out soon enough, just keep on drinking Mr. Parker, your alcoholism is growing immensely and we all know one can not drink in the pen! Many inmates would love to see you there, I do believe.

• Aslan Reply

February 10, 2017 at 3:32 am

Wh2&7#8a1t;s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & help different users like its helped me. Great job.