Socialize

Grass Roots Delegates Be Damned

Attending unit meetings and being involved at the local county GOP level can be a passionate exercise in self-sacrifice.  Restoring our nation to its Founding begins at this level of activism and sets the stage for the direction of our county, state, and nation. I embrace it and love it.

Delegates of Virginia’s 5th Congressional District will soon gather in Lovingston, VA, on May 14th to choose the next Republican Congressional Candidate for the 2016 November election.  For full disclosure, I am a Michael Del Rosso supporter.  I’ve hosted Michael in my home and have actively campaigned for him; I believe that Michael is the man for this exact moment to represent us and face our nations current struggles. Michael speaks truth to power on a host of issues and supporters love that about him.  This is not to detract from the other qualified candidates at all.  Contrasted to the Democrats we have the best to offer in this race, hands down.

Being a delegate to the May 14th, 5th District Convention means that I have “skin in the game”.  I’ve attended meetings and forums to listen to candidates and their surrogates present their campaigns’ message.  I’ve put in the time to research positions, the current issues that are important to all of us, and have assessed their individual character.  I’ve paid my own filing fee and I’m ready to go to Nelson County!

However, some recent news about this process in my own Greene County really bothers me and I am somewhat pained to share what I believe is necessary.

Imagine how you would react if you received verification that one of the candidates in this race paid the convention filing fees for at least 7 of the 35 individuals in your unit’s delegation, many of whom have NEVER attended a unit meeting at all…ever!  Did someone other than you pay your fee? That candidate is Senator Tom Garrett.  Is this standard operational procedure for a grass root Conservative campaign?

Yes, folks, Tom Garrett for Congress paid the delegation convention fees for at least 7 of the 35 Greene County delegates attending the 5th District GOP Convention. This has been 100% verified and I am very disappointed.

Do I have concerns? Absolutely I have concerns. This smacks of what establishment hacks do on both sides of the isle.  We are not Democrats, nor have we embraced GOP establishment tactics.  Paying convention fees from a campaign fund may be 100% legal, but do the donors know that his campaign is using funds to pay delegates to attend a convention on HIS behalf?  Where is the judgement? Is this win at any cost?

Other delegates who have their favorite candidate may not have the financial resources to pay for fees and incentivize delegates to go to the convention on behalf of their delegate. This is all about getting out votes and is akin to trolling for those votes.  It calls into question using a campaign’s financial advantage over the everyday working delegate who has actually used their own resources of time and money to invest in the process.  How can an individual delegate financially compete with this if we are talking about a paid vote advantage?

Before this, I thought we were above these tactics and I thought more of Tom Garrett.  Perhaps Senator Garrett just surrounded himself with the wrong people who made this decision without his approval?

The question remains…has this occurred in other counties across the 5th GOP Congressional District?  I believe that we all deserve a further explanation on what happened here before the final round of votes on May 14th.

Eva Young                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Greene County 5th District Delegate

Comments

comments

11 Responses to Grass Roots Delegates Be Damned

1. Rick Buchanan Reply

May 11, 2016 at 10:34 am

Bottom line here folks is this is a Greene County issue. The good people of Greene who signed up as delegates can take this information as reported here and the tone of the comments and make their own decision as to relevance these actions ha e on the voting Saturday. As we all know, all politics is local and the relationships of the Delegates to the campaigns and staff tell the story. So to all who have skin in this game, see you Saturday.

2. Kevin Reynolds Reply

May 11, 2016 at 7:40 am

Eva,
    Del Rosso paid delegate fees in Fluvanna according to Carolyn Edwards Ley. Kudos to him for helping the process and making a financial contribution. In the meantime, please issue an apology for unjustifiably indicting the integrity of Tom Garrett and Michael Del Rosso and retract your implication that any of this is shady or improper. Your statements are confusing at best and intentionally misleading at worst. Also, to imply that there hasn’t been any explanation of all of the fact is disingenuous. I had a 13 minute conversation with your husband yesterday prior to this being published where I laid out the facts and the noble desire to help out with the convention and Greene County (if I had known about Michael’s similar contribution I would have discussed that as well.) Bob and I had a good discussion that you chose to ignore to instead baselessly and maliciously attack Tom and our staff (me primarily.) I would be satisfied with an apology to both candidates and an immediate removal of this intentionally hateful and hurtful piece.

3. Mr. Young Reply

May 10, 2016 at 10:48 pm

“Truthseeker”, Mrs. Young never called anyone names like you’ve done while hiding behind your screen. I know first hand that she is she is 100% genuine. Grown up. No lies were told here.

4. Truthseeker Reply

May 10, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Eva Young is an idiot — I feel bad for her. I would be embarrassed to have this be on the internet for perpetuity, forever reminding people of how stupid I am.

• Carolyn Ley Reply

May 10, 2016 at 10:44 pm

“Truthseeker”, Eva is not an idiot. I have met her and I believe her to be a passionate supporter of Liberty. I just think somebody misinformed her on this one.

5. Carolyn Ley Reply

May 10, 2016 at 10:25 pm

I think is quite a good gesture that the Michael contributed filing fees. These fees are collected to support the cost of the convention. Not really that unusual to have individuals support the convention process by chipping in for other’s fees.

6. Truthseeker Reply

May 10, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Whoever wrote this is a moron. Uninformed, ignorant, probably intentionally lying moron.

Delete this trash please.

7. Carolyn Ley Reply

May 10, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I collected the delegate information here in Fluvanna and Michael Del Rosso paid the filing fees for several individuals here.

• Rick Buchanan Reply

May 11, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Carolyn, I think it was just one and the gentleman who Michael personally paid for reimbursed him. Quite different than the use of campaign funds to pay for friends of Garrett’s staff including the staffer’s fees. Just sayin’.

8. Cindy Koether Reply

May 10, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I understand John Whitbeck paid many filing fees in Henrico Co. out of campaign funds.

9. David Southall Reply

May 10, 2016 at 9:00 pm

It is illegal to be charged to vote for public office. Party officials is a different story.