As you know there is a whole lot of hyperbole being thrown around by Governor McCauliffe and his administration who are attempting to play on your emotions in an effort to get your support for expanding Medicaid coverage in the state of VA. Well, regardless of any and all hyperbole you hear, I am writing to inform you of the indisputable cold hard facts so you don’t get sold a false bill of goods. Here are the facts:
1. Virginia money will NOT go to other states, our money will help pay down the federal debt.
2. Currently Medicaid is 22% of the Virginia Budget and growing at 8% per year.
3. We already get our fair share - Virginia sends about $65 Billion to DC and gets back about $136 Billion.
4. Virginia cannot “opt-out” once we are in the Expansion.
5. Massive FRAUD is present in Medicaid and must be audited and reduced BEFORE adding any more people.
6. Expansion Reduces service and quality to the truly needy already on Medicaid.
7. Expansion Reduces funds for other Virginia programs – schools, public safety, other medical, etc.
8. 40 to 60% in the expansion population ALREADY have private health insurance.
9. Anyone earning less than the 138% above the poverty level is likely to lose their private insurance and be forced to go onto Medicaid which is less care.
10. The Federal Government essentially bribes the VA state government with Billions of Federal dollars for a few years and then cuts the money spigot off. Then What?
Please memorize these facts and/or cut them out and carry a copy in your wallet so you don’t get hoodwinked by Governor McAuliffe and those attempting to drain more of your hard earned money from you with their attempts to redistribute it into expanding an already broken and very wasteful Medicaid system.
John Calhoun Mechanicsville, VA