Socialize

Popovich promotes Unity and Civility in Fauquier GOP race

by Peter A. Popovich, Candidate for Fauquier County Republican Committee Chairman

Peter_PopovichAs Virginia Republicans, we hold strong views which are anchored in the “Virginia Republican Creed” (Google it!).   That means we believe in free enterprise, individual rights, liberty, and responsibility, justice for all, fiscal responsibility throughout a government that does only what it is chartered to perform in the constitution, a strong national defense, and faith in God.   The last part – faith in God – is what makes it all work because this faith results in looking out for the common good, and not just what is best for me individually.

And that means we must come together as Republicans.  If we aspire to the Republican Creed, we are 95% of the way there.  What about the 5% where we disagree?  If we refuse to work together, we lose, and our community and country lose because there are many who ascribe to a different creed – those we oppose in November every other year.   Where we Republicans disagree with each other we should not water down our positions until we stand for nothing.  By all means, we should strongly advocate for them, but in a civil way where we do not label others, and where we make every effort to understand and consider the views and desires of others.

Some stay home when they disagree.  Staying home because we are not 99% satisfied with a candidate equals losing!  And staying home means more than just staying home on Election Day.  It also involves withholding our time, talents, and treasure.  Our community needs the best of what every citizen has to offer.   Working together with a team is what I strive for.

My wife Ann and I have been blessed to call Fauquier County home for 29 years.  We have raised 4 sons who all graduated from county schools and are leading responsible productive lives.   We love it here!  We love the beauty of our land.  Every time we drive into the county we are struck by this beauty and the contrast to the areas to the North and East.

We also love the people here.  We have gotten to know our neighbors through community organizations, and over the last two years we have gotten to know members of the county Republican committee; so many good people with so much to offer.   Anyone who reads the newspaper knows that there are many pressures facing our county and that Republicans have not always been united on the best way forward.  That is why I am running for Chairman of our Fauquier County Republican Committee on April 2nd ,to bring the entire committee together – present members and new members , And I am running to make the work of the committee more effective and much more visible in the community.   This is the best way now for me to give back to a community which keeps on giving to Ann and me.

Comments

comments

11 Responses to Popovich promotes Unity and Civility in Fauquier GOP race

1. Scott Russell Reply

March 27, 2016 at 2:15 pm

It’s interesting that I tried to post this under my name and with my email address, but the site wouldn’t allow me to. I wonder why that is.

Cameron Jones,

I don’t understand why you feel the need to drag me into this. Is it really that hard to believe that you and yours have upset more than just me in the last two years? I have fulfilled my commitment as an FCRC committee member a I am not running again. Sure, I still read about local politics and keep up to date, but I am done with the FCRC and I am done with you.

Yes, I am tired of your friends, like Reagan George, Howie Lind, and Amy Anzures, among others, (one other person I have tried repeatedly to work thing out with, unfortunately that has not worked, but I am still trying) contacting my employer and seeking my termination. You can feel free to reach out to these people and ask them yourself if they contacted my employer. You can also reach out to Dr. Michael Farris at HSLDA and ask him directly. I have the emails from Reagan and Amy and Dr. Michael Farris let me know that Howie called him directly, so if they don’t fess up, let me know and I can post the emails here.

I own my sins Cameron and I am only free of them due to the fact that I am saved by grace through Jesus. You own your lies and sins Cameron and you will be judged for them. I encourage you seek forgiveness for them.

If I wanted to take you to task for anything Cameron, I would do so directly. And if you have a problem you want to address with me, you can email me directly at personal email at scottthomasrussell@gmail.com or call me at 612-695-3471. I think that’s what a real man and a real leader would do in a situation like this.

I hope you have a Happy Easter. God Bless.

• jcivitas Reply

March 27, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Nothing nefarious going on Mr. Russell. Your comments were held for moderation because in the past, comments from the IP Address you just posted from have required moderation for some rather
      unsavory language. Your comments are now up for all to see.

Civitas

• Cam Jones Reply

March 28, 2016 at 6:20 am

Scott Russell,

You should have taken my advice back in Jan 2014 when we met at Panera the first time.

I thought you were a pretty good guy after that meeting, and I gave you some friendly advice about looking into the people that were using you for their own ends.

If you want to blame someone for your woes, maybe you ought to look to Jim Rich for restitution.

Reagan George, Howie Lind, and Amy Anzures are their own people. I have no control over them.

They are rightly concerned about your involvement with organizations like Convention of the States, and the Family Foundation; organizations that they support. Their contact with the leaders of those organizations is of their own doing.

You seem to have a need to blame others for your problems; perhaps you should look within.

I (and others) find it repulsive that you always come around to questioning other people’s faith in God, and that you assail people with Jesus and the Bible.

Do you believe you were righteous when you and your friends were bearing false witness against me and those who supported me?

Were you holding your Bible close when you were defaming my name and character all over the County with the lies you spread about me? Were you walking with Jesus then?

You also like to talk about what “real men” do, but you haven’t a clue. You have no honor, and you have no integrity, and people far outside Fauquier have discovered that.

You are the sole source of your problems; face up to it…, like a real man would do.

2. Mr Bojangles Reply

March 25, 2016 at 2:32 pm

I would also like to see some admission as to who called Cameron Jones’ opponent’s employer during the local committee elections and complained that the opponent should be fired. At the time, Jones claimed he did not know who did it. But there is a pattern here. the Free Citizen folks, as the Fauquier Citizens for Family Farms, wrote a similar letter to the County Board, asking that the Zoning Director for the County be fired. Fitzgibbons signed a similar letter for the firing of a political commentator named Jonathan Collegio, after he made comments about some other person that a group of conservatives objected to. So history shows that Hoping for Unities concerns are real and justifiable.

• Cam Jones Reply

March 26, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Scott Russell,

Two days after the election we met at Panera in Warrenton as you well know.

This whole thing could have ended on that day, had Mr. James E. Rich, et al, been willing to embrace ALL the Fauquier Republicans who wanted to be members of the FCRC, but he didn’t want that.

On that day, I asked you about your claims that someone had called your employer. You told me that two people called, one left a message on an office answering machine, and the other talked to your office manager who you admitted was your employee.

Neither talked to your employer, by your own admission.

You did not have a name for either one of these callers, but you want to blame it on me?

How do we know anyone even called?

So stop going around telling everyone that I tried to get you fired.

The bottom line in all this is that Mr. James E. Rich needs to keep the committee small. That is where he derives his power; by controlling the Fauquier County Republican Committee.

It is also why he hired Chris Ashby, Arlington Political Lawyer (Google him!) to fight RPV to keep the committee small.

The only hope for unity in the Fauquier County Republican Committee is to expand the committee membership beyond the control of those like Mr. James E. Rich, who have controlled it for years.

That is why I have fought for two years to do what I set out to do in February of 2014, and that is to build a larger, more inclusive, more vibrant FCRC that actually does something to get good Republicans elected at all levels, and also does charitable things for our community, to build good will for the Republican brand.

We have demonstrated what we can do, raising over $5,200 for Care Net pregnancy resource center, an effort Mr. James E. Rich tried to sabotage by calling the Care Net director and lying to her about me. We also raised $16,000 for the Republican Party of Virginia, while Mr. James E. Rich, et al were costing the Party $70,000 in a frivolous lawsuit.

As far as winning elections; the current committee takes credit for what the citizens of this county do naturally; vote Republican.

The committee does nothing to improve the numbers, or support the candidates.

Perhaps Mr. James E. Rich, et al would like to explain what they did to help promote Ken Cuccinelli, E.W. Jackson, and Mark Obenshain?

This year the minimum membership after this election will be 187 voting members; good Republicans from ALL over the county, not just the precincts Mr. James E. Rich, et al favor; not just the members they vote in.

What will Mr. James E. Rich, et al do once that happens?

To all Fauquier Republicans who may read this I say;

Please come out and vote your will on April 2nd from 9 AM to 5 PM at either the Warrenton Community Center or the Remington Lions Club.

After this election, our bigger, better, FCRC will embrace all Fauquier Republicans, not just the few!

Cam

• Scott Russell Reply

March 26, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Cameron Jones,

I don’t understand why you feel the need to drag me into this. Is it really that hard to believe that you have upset more than just me in the last two years? I have fulfilled my commitment as an FCRC committee member a I am not running again. Sure, I still read about local politics and keep up to date, but I am done with the FCRC and I am done with you.

I hope you have a Happy Easter. God Bless.

3. Madge M. Eicher Reply

March 24, 2016 at 11:04 am

Obviously the sender of the critical comment do not know Peter Popovitch. It is sad that w/o knowing anything about a person, the comment seemed to smear his character. Having known Peter for many many, years, we are now on the way to growing and holding to the truths of the Republican Party here in Fauquier County. There are so many more positions now for people to take part in electing good people to serve us in government. Madge Eicher

4. Hoping for Unity Reply

March 23, 2016 at 7:51 pm

We will have to wait and see if he really promotes unity or civility. Since he is backed by individuals like Cameron Jones and Rick Buchanan, who have no desire for unity and only desire power and lack any integrity or morality, I really have my doubts.

What will likely happen is, Rick and Cameron will use him as a puppet and

I hope he can stand up to the Tea Party and RPV leaders who have lost every statewide election since 2009 and every time the have tried to beat real Republican in a county election they have lost.

• Rick Buchanan Reply

March 24, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Your use of the Lloyd the Idiot gravitar and your acerbic, divisive comments show you are no fan of Unity. Why are you hiding? If you are proud to say what you are saying, you should use the name your parents gave you.

• Hoping for Unity Reply

March 25, 2016 at 8:46 am

I will be happy to accommodate your request as soon as you have jcivitas and Publius reveal who they really are.

To be honest, the reason I am concerned is how you attack your opponents with such vitriol and hatred, your willingness to destroy instead of bring people together.

And Rick, if you are proud of what you have done in life, will you admit you were behind the robocalls supporting Lee Sherbeyn as a write in candidate against hte Republican candidate? Will Cameron Jones admit that he voted for Hillary or Obama in the presidential primary in 2008?

• Cam Jones Reply

March 26, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Scott Russell,

My message was always one of unity in the Party, and more inclusiveness. It still is.

I attacked no one, but was defamed across the county by those who opposed my candidacy.

Now you are seeking to attack Peter Popovich whom you don’t even know.

Perhaps you would like to tell the Republicans of Fauquier why Mr. Rich, et al hired high powered political lawyer Chris Ashby to fight against expansion of the membership of the Fauquier Republican Committee?

When you brought Democrats in to vote for you Scott, you claimed we should “have a big tent”, like Reagan wanted, but suddenly that “big tent” full of Fauquier Republicans is a bad thing.

The fact is, the Fauquier County Republican Committee has been kept artificially small for decades, and this year when all is said and done, the membership is going to be at least 187; three time what it has been over the last 3 years, and 6 times what it was when I joined in 2011.

I AM Proud of that Scott.

Cam